Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Roots

There have been many times where people have came up to me and started speaking in Japanese. When they see I can't reply back, they ask "Do you understand Japanese?" I shake my head and say "no, sorry." A lot of people think I am either Japanese or Korean. They says its because of my big eyes and round face structure. I think its interesting how my bold features can portray me as another ethnicity.

Here in Hawaii, mostly everyone is mixed (as in 5+ mixed races). Even if they are a little bit of something, they still acknowledge that small percentage in them. This encouraged me to retrace my roots and find out the truth of my background. Ever since I was little, when people asked what I was, I would only say "Filipino."

My parents always told me that we have Chinese and Spanish blood in us, so technically we aren't full. Some of my ancestors were bi-racial(half Filipino/Spanish and half Filipino/Chinese). But as the generation line goes down, the blood breaks down. By the time the blood gets to me, I only have 1/8 of Spanish and 1/8 Chinese in me.

These days when people ask me, I tell them I am mostly Filipino, but also Spanish and Chinese. I learned in Hawaii that it is important to embrace all your cultures. After all, Oahu is known as the melting pot. We come from all over the World to celebrate, blend, and create diversity.

A couple years ago,  for my high school graduation present and for my mom's Ph. D graduation, my family and I went to the Philippines. It was an unforgettable experience. For my bachelors degree present, I want to go to China. And for my masters degree graduation present, I want to go to Spain. I can't wait to see, experience, and feel the other lands of my roots.



Filipino, Spanish, and Chinese baby,
Deanna

1 comment: