Tuesday, July 26, 2011

M.I.A.

Last Thursday, my friend "Lisa", and I went to Fresh Cafe to attend the monthly event "Art and Flea." When we arrived, Lisa asked the waitress if the art and flea was that day. The waitress told her that its actually next week, and that night there was going to be a writing prompt session. I was so excited, and told Lisa we should stay and attend. As we ate and caught up in the cafe, it was already a little past the starting time for the writing session. We looked around the cafe, but didn't see anyone who was looking for it too.

I got up and asked the waitress where it was, she said they already started in the stage room. I rushed back to Lisa and told her we need to go to the back. As we walked in late, the group welcomed us, and shared a group mad lib poem that they finished. The theme of the writing prompt that followed after was "feelings".

One of our writing prompts was inspired from an inspirational talk led by "Craig Santos Perez", who is a creative writing teacher at UH Manoa. He shared with us how he is from the island of Guam. He also shared how he felt when he re-visited the outside of his old home that he grew up in, on his home island. He then asked up to close our eyes for a couple minutes, and think back to the house we individually grew up in, and let our mind flow as we go through the house.

The writing prompt that followed after, was to express all the senses that came to mind as we went through the house. He then asked us to choose one thing from the experience to make another free write inspired poem to. We did that a couple times, breaking it down to create different angles of poetry. 

Another writing prompt was inspired by two of our classmates, who paired up to do free style acting scenes. They were so hilarious, very natural, and talented.

We ended the writing workshop with an open mic, where we got to share any of the writing prompts. Everyone's pieces was so beautiful, unique, and abstract. After the session, I introduced myself to the founder/coordinator of M.I.A, "Jaimie Gusman". I thanked her for having us and expressed to her how much fun we had. I asked her what M.I.A. meant, she said "Mixing Innovative Arts". She was so sweet and invited us to the next event for next month. 

After the writing session, Lisa said sorry, and admitted that she knew that the whole time that they started in the back but didn't say anything, for fear of her writers block. But when I checked and found it, she tried to act shock lol. In the end she was glad that we stayed. I told her that it was meant for us to be there even though we were moded about Art and Flea, this experience inspired us to grow as writers/poets.


pretty painting on display, I love how it goes off the center
  


pen ink flows in my owl dreamer notebook,
Deanna



1 comment:

  1. thank you for finding the "hidden workshop" in the back space. LOL
    unexpected adventures = pen turning sound.
    and sound is a beautiful thing....
    lisa

    ReplyDelete